If you have hit a musical snag or iTunes is just grooving I can help harmonize your music world. I’ll show you how to reset your iTunes library quickly on Macs and Windows PCs. Now, prepare your headphones for an intuitive and simple journey.
Things to consider before refreshing your iTunes music library
Here are some things to remember before we begin the process of resetting iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- When you reset your iTunes library, all of your playlists and customizations (including ratings, playcounts, and other customizations) will be deleted.
- iTunes will continue to work after you delete music files. Do not assume that library changes will result in PC Suite issues.
- It is still recommended to update iTunes. Close the program after updating to ensure that the updated information is updated on the next session.
- It is not necessary to reinstall iTunes after resetting your music library.
- To avoid duplicate music when creating a playlist after a reset, make sure your device is not synced with iTunes.
How to Delete an iTunes Library from a Mac or PC
Here’s an easy solution if you want to avoid any technical work and have only a small amount to remove. It’s great that the steps are compatible with both Mac and PC. I have shown the steps using a Windows PC.
- iTunes will open.
- Browse to a Library.
- Click on the three-dot symbol in the upper-right corner.
- Choose Delete from Library in the menu.
- Click Delete to confirm.
If you want, you can enable Please do not ask me again.
This will reset your iTunes library on PC or Mac to a fresh start.
How to Reset iTunes on a Mac
- Launch the Finder application on Mac.
- On the menu bar, select the Go option.
- Select Home from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the Music – iTunes Folder to continue.
- Select and remove the iTunesLibrary.itl and iTunesMusicLibrary.xml files.
How to Reset iTunes on a Windows PC
- Use the Folder application on your Windows computer.
- Click on Music – iTunes.
- Select all Library Files
- Press Shift + Delete simultaneously to permanently delete the files.
- Click on Yes to complete the process.
- You have successfully reset your iTunes.
You can create a new library in iTunes after following these steps.
Resetting iTunes Library for Mac or Windows computers has many benefits
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of resetting iTunes for Mac or PC.
- The ability to correct any bugs or errors that may occur in the iTunes library such as missing files and potential glitches is a notable benefit.
- Resetting your library may help fix issues if iTunes is slow or having problems.
- iTunes users who have used it for a while may wish to delete the media files they no longer need and start again.
- By removing unnecessary or duplicate files, you can free up storage space. This is especially useful if your iTunes library has been split into multiple folders.
- It allows users to start over with their music collection while keeping important data such as playlists and ratings.
All these benefits allow for a more optimized and streamlined user experience on the iTunes platform.
Also Check this: Best webcams for Mac in 2023
What happens if there are problems after I reset my iTunes library?
Rarely, problems may persist. If you need to restore from a backup, make sure your music files are intact.
Keep the music going!
You’re done! Now your iTunes library will dance to a different beat. Resetting your iTunes library will give you a seamless audio performance, whether on the Mac stage or Windows performance arena. Hit reset to let the music continue.
You are welcome. Please share your comments below if you found the guide useful.