Here is how to stop Mac from sleeping? 4 Ways explained! Your Mac screen may have turned off after a few minutes of inactivity. MacOS sleeps when it is not in use to conserve battery life and improve power efficiency. You may not want to let it sleep if you’re doing a continuous task. This article will explain how to prevent Mac from sleeping.
Why should Mac not sleep?
You may have many reasons to stop Mac sleeping. You may need to stop Mac from sleeping for the following reasons:
- When running long tasks. If you want to download large files on your Mac you need to prevent it from sleeping.
- Making presentations Imagine that your Mac falls asleep suddenly while you are giving a presentation. It is better to keep the Mac screen awake so that your presentation can run smoothly.
- Remote Access For those who are accessing their Mac remotely it is important to keep it awake. If it falls asleep you will need to set it up again.
- Streaming video or music: It irritates me when my Mac screen blanks out while I’m watching videos. It is the best method to keep it awake.
Let’s see how to do this.
Let’s take a look at the different ways to keep the Mac screen always on. The steps below are designed to ensure that Mac will never go to sleep, but you can customize the settings according to your preferences.
How to prevent Mac from sleeping using Battery Settings
- Go to Settings.
- From the left-hand pane, select Batteries.
- Select Never from the drop-down menu.
- Click Options.
- Select Always from the drop-down menu.
- Turn on To prevent automatic sleeping of the power adapter when display is off.
- Hit Done.
Disable Mac’s sleep mode by changing the lock screen settings
- Lock screen.
- Select Never from the drop-down menu located next to Screen saver on inactivity.
- Select Never. Click Turn off display when battery is inactive.
- Select Turn off display on power adapter inactive. – Choose Always.
How to stop Mac from sleeping with Terminal
Terminal can be used to keep your Mac awake in addition to System Preferences.
- Open Terminal using Spotlight search.
caffeinate, and then hit Return.
The lid will not close unless the Terminal session is closed.
- You can also use the following commands.
caffeinate: Stop Mac displays from sleeping
caffeinate: Stop the system from sleeping when idle
caffeinate: Stop the disk from being idle
caffeinate: Keep Mac awake when plugged into AC power
caffeinate 1800 &: This is the time your Mac will remain awake in seconds.
You may set the time to any desired time.
Select Terminate to stop the Terminal.
Turn off the Sleep mode of your Mac using a third party app
You can use third-party applications to prevent your Mac from going to sleep. You can use any application you like, but we’re using Amphetamine.
- Install Set up the application.
- Click on the icon in the menu bar.
- Select the option that you prefer.
- To end the current session, click End Current Sessions.
If you’re looking for Mac apps that will keep it awake, then consider these apps:
- Anti Sleep
Also Check this: How to download macOS Sonoma 14.2 beta 4
Do not keep your Mac awake!
You don’t need to constantly check if your mac has entered sleep mode. Don’t forget to get enough sleep in order to be productive.